3.1.2010

Hey Mom and Dad,
This area is really strong. Many members have been born within the covenant. The work is really progressing her really well. Our ward, called Brisas, is strong. It pretty much has all of the calling filled that are needed. It has been an adjustment. Like you said dad, changing places and people and things is not the easiest thing to do! It has been challenging, but a wonderful learning experience. We are doing really well. Elder Cox and I get along really well. We were both a little worried about each other at the beginning. He thought I was really strict and I thought he was really cocky. But we talked about that, and we actually really get along well. It is so interesting how much an understanding point of view can do. I have learned a lot in this past week.
Man, they made me the district leader. With Elder Anderson, we were both the district leaders, so it is not all completely new. The elders in my district are me, Elders Cox, Dominguez and another Elder I just met and don't remember his name. Elder Cox is going to finish his mission in June. He is a great guy!
We're planning on having two baptisms this Saturday. One is named Fidel, he is an older person that had an accident in his hip. He doesn't have nay family and feels lonely. He was actually a referral from a recent convert named Carlos. The other baptism is Lydia. I have actually met her only one time, so I don't know her that well.
We found a really cool lady that has read all of the homework that we left in the Book of Mormon and is really interested. But, her husband doesn't want her to go to church. He told her that she is a Catholic and she can't be going her and there to other churches. I read her the scripture in Matthew 7 that says seek and ye shall find. She is seeking!!! There is nothing wrong with that! The men that are really controlling and usually drunk, are called machistas.
We are going to keep teaching English, and I am going to teach piano/music. Last night I had the opportunity to attend a stake priesthood meeting. WOW. There are some powerful men here that have really strong testimonies and are so strong. A scripture came to mind in the Doctrine and Covenants 49:24 that says that the Lamanites will "blossom as the rose". Also in 2 Nephi 30:5-6, it says that not many generations will pass away before they become a pure and delightful people. It was encouraging to see the fruits of the gospel in men that probably three generations back had ancestors that went' so pure and delightful. The effect that the gospel has on the human soul is amazing!
I love you all. Thank you for all that you have done for me! You are wonderful examples and teachers! Russell